Kilnave Chapel and Cross
Loch Gruinart is one mile wide and four miles long, running from the Atlantic on the north side of the island. Kilnave Chapel overlooks the loch, about a mile from the ocean. In this photo, past the point, is the Atlantic, with Colonsay island beyond. The mountains in the distance are on Mull.
Kilnave Chapel is about 600 years old. The cross likely dates to the late 700's.
There were many of these old slate slabs in the ground. Some had no writing, or were illegible.
Here Lies The Corps of Lora McQween, spouse to Patrick Cwrrie Tacksman of Larabus, Who Died 23d January 1780, Aged 61 Years
Note the "w" versus "u", and backwards D's. A tacksman is someone who held a usually long term lease on land from the local laird, and in turn leased most of that land out to others. A mid-level landholder.
Erected by a great-grandson Neil Morrison, Floral Park, New York, U.S.A., 1969
This place belongs to Archibald Giles Tennant in Octomore
In the corner, the wall drops down with the contour of the land below it, while the ground within stays level. There is cow pasture below, along the shore.
To the memory of Peter Ferguson, Aged 75 years
This stone was split and grainy like rotting wood.
This grave slab is of the West Highland style, and dates to medieval times. It has a carving of a sword surrounded by foliage, and is in pretty good condition for its age.
This one has moss on it. Possibly the only gravestone I saw on the island that did. There was lichen everywhere!
Most of these old churches were abandoned, and the roof beams, which were hard to come by, were taken for other uses. This one burned. The chapel was the site of a massacre, in 1598. Thirty fleeing invaders took refuge in the chapel, and all but one were killed when the thatched roof was set alight. It is unknown where their bodies lie, but the people interred here have a nice view.